Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Jimi Sounds Like a Rainbow: A Story of the Young Jimi Hendrix/ Coretta Scott King

Plot Summary:
            Jimi Hendrix is a young poor boy who lives with his father. They are always moving around and they are very poor. Jimi has two friends and the three of them love to listen to music, but Jimi wants a guitar more than anything. He hears music everywhere, on the wind, in the street, everywhere. He wants to apply his skills with drawing to music. He finally achieves his goal of getting a guitar, and then he plays before the entire world.
Personal Reaction:
            I believe that Jimi Hendrix is the best guitarist that ever lived, however, I was very skeptical about a children’s book about him due to his terrible death and tendency for drug usage. I was surprised about the book when I read it, I saw that the emphasis was on his creativity and music, with a part at the end that I could read if I wanted to know more, for this reason, I think this book could be appealing to a variety of ages. The illustrations were done in a collage manner, with swirling, groovy colors of the sixties. Jimi was a hippy; it is only fair that illustrations for his book are painted in hippie style. In addition, the color and waving patterns support the theme of the book which is that he wants to “sound like a rainbow.”
Golio, G., & Steptoe, J. (2010). Jimi sounds like a rainbow: a story of the young Jimi Hendrix. Boston: Clarion Books.


No comments:

Post a Comment