Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Frog Went A-courtin' / Caldecott


Plot Summary:
            Frog, well… goes a-courtin’. He asks Mistress Mouse to marry him, but does not have permission from Uncle Rat. Uncle Rat comes home and asks about wedding plans before consenting to the marriage. Immediately, the animals set to work on the wedding festivities. The party rages until it is ruined by a big cat. This book does not follow traditional plot lines in that the conflict is resolved very early in the story and there is no time for falling action due to the surprise ending with the cat.
Personal Reaction:
            I love this book. It is a poem and can be put to music. It is also a story that was passed down through oral tradition. I love the word “courtin’,” it reminds me of my grandparents. There is also an excellent context clue for the word “consent” that really resonates. “Without my Uncle Rat’s consent, I would not marry the president.”  The word “consent” may not be that important as a general vocabulary word, but when it comes to teaching about popular sovereignty in government, "consent" is crucial. The phrase rhymes and is easily understandable for struggling learners. I mention this because I intend to use this book when I do teach popular sovereignty this year.
This book is illustrated in a very cherry manner, with bright colors. I like the black, white, and green pictures, they do look very vintage, but I think they are nice and green was a good choice considering the main character. The pictures in the book are mainly to increase comprehension and coincide with what is happening in the story. All of the animals have smiles on their faces, further contributing to the overall positive feel of the book, which makes the part where the cat jumps in even more of a surprise.
Langstaff, J. M., & Rojankovsky, F. (1955). Frog went a-courtin'. New York: Harcourt, Brace.

No comments:

Post a Comment